All businesses and organisations employ people, from the insurance market and the financial sector to not-for-profit organisations and public authorities. They are all subject to the requirements of employment law. Whether you are a company, firm or other organisation, or a director, partner or employee, we can advise you on how to best protect your interests. This may mean advice on the employment implications of transactions and business arrangements or representation in negotiations or, when relationships break down, disputes. We can provide the specialist advice required to handle such situations.
Employment issues can arise in any number of transactions. When companies or portfolios are sold, management is outsourced or Part VII FSMA 2000 portfolio transfers take place, it is necessary to establish whether TUPE applies and properly identify, inform and consult affected employees. Due diligence reports should include staff related matters. Mergers and acquisitions often involve harmonisation of terms or consequential redundancies. Businesses setting up in the UK need robust yet versatile employment contracts and well drafted staff handbooks and restrictive covenants. Our team handling such matters has the employment law expertise allied to specialist market knowledge.
Sometimes employment can be problematic. Allegations of staff misconduct, discrimination, unfair dismissal or breaches of covenants can all give rise to disputes. We will work with our clients to minimise the disruption and cost that this causes to their business. Often this will involve a pragmatic negotiated settlement – sometimes it will require litigation, in which we will represent their interests vigorously.
Our Consultant Joseph Sutton is a specialist employment lawyer, with both "in-house" and private practice experience (including currently with his own specialist law firm, Joseph Sutton Solicitors).
- Providing employment law advice as part of our team acting in the sale of an insurance related professional services provider
- Advising an overseas insurance company on the English aspects of a non-compete issue
- Advising an employee in relation to a move between insurance brokers
- Advising as part of our team in handling a claim under a liability insurance policy which gave rise to employment law issues
- Advising on the employment aspects of the sale of a provider of professional services to the insurance market