Hugh is a graduate of Cambridge University. He qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1983 and completed his training at Allen & Overy.
He was an equity partner for 19 years, first at Waltons & Morse and Eversheds LLP, both firms with international reach, before setting up his own firm and consultancy, CityNet Law, in 2006 where he continues in practice.
- Acting for Sun Life Financial of Canada in the £85m outsourcing of the administration of its closed book of individual life pensions portfolio to Marlborough Stirling plc and subsequent £720m re-organisation of the UK interests of Sun Life of Canada to achieve repatriation of capital.
- Acting for Norwich Union on a series of transactions to effect the reorganisation of Hill House Hammond, Norwich Union’s insurance broking arm, including the disposal of the commercial division of that business in two parts and the subsequent restructuring of Norwich Union’s distribution network for general insurance.
- Acting for Liberty International Holdings Ltd on the closure of Liberty Re Ltd and on the establishment of a branch in Paris to introduce French business for Lloyd’s; currently advising on regulatory matters.
- Acting for two Lloyd’s Groups effectively as their in-house counsel for a period of 15 years steering them through many acquisitions and disposals and the regulatory developments of the market.
- Acting for the underwriting arm of Gallagher & Co in relation to a binding authority facility with a consortium of major insurers to be used as a precedent for future deals as a market standard.
- Acting for clients in relation to Part VII transfers of insurance business and solvent schemes of arrangement, including,
- a Japanese Group (total assets in excess of £19 billion) making two applications to the High Court at the same time for a scheme of arrangement and Part VII transfer – a novelty at the time for the PRA; and
- Leeds Hospital Fund on its merger with Hospital Saving Association including Part VII portfolio transfer and Scheme of Arrangement.
- Acting for clients on the establishment of over 200 corporate members of Lloyd’s